Horseback riding day camp is a great way for kids to have fun and enjoy time outside while learning about horses.
At a horseback riding-themed day camp, campers will get to interact with horses and learn about their care and feeding. They also get to ride the horses and play games on horseback. Often, horse camps end with a horse show which is fun for kids and parents. Day camps or overnight horseback riding focused camps are great ways for kids to learn about responsibility and cooperation, and even explore horse careers, while having a lot of fun.
Overnight Riding Camp vs Day Camp
Horse camps are great for kids who show a love for horseback riding. It’s a way to introduce them to beginner rider instruction or some advanced skills. Campers will learn all about horses, horse tack, and horse care. When kids get hands on with horses, they improve their knowledge, self-discipline, and even their body image. 1
There are many different types of horseback riding camps available for kids and adults alike. Two popular options are day camp and horseback riding-focused overnight camps. Both offer unique benefits that can make for an enjoyable and educational experience.
What to Expect from Horse-themed Day Camp
Horseback riding day camp is a great option for those who want to learn about horseback riding, but may not be ready for an overnight camp experience. Day campers will learn about horse care, riding techniques and safety. They will also get to enjoy plenty of time riding horses and exploring the trails.
What to Expect from Horse-themed Sleepaway Camps
Horseback riding overnight camp is a more immersive experience. Campers will stay overnight in cabins or at a campground, and will spend most of their time riding horses. This is a great option for those who are serious about learning more about horseback riding and are looking for a more challenging experience. Many overnight horseback riding camps are less laser-focused on the riding experience, and instead offer a number of different camp activities like hiking, campfires, boating, and swimming.
What To Pack For Horse Camp
If you’re planning on going to horse camp, it’s important to have the proper riding equipment. This will help ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for all.
This packing list is a general list of items needed for day camp. Keep in mind, though, that most camps will give out a list of equipment that each camper needs to bring to camp.
- Personal care items – Examples are soaps, toothbrushes, and towels. It’s best to call the camp ahead and see what amenities they provide.
- Helmet – An ATSM-SEI approved horse riding helmet is necessary to keep them safe in case of falls and accidents. Helmets are needed for all horse riding activities. Everything from show jumping, general riding, and even working around the stable.
- Boots – Your child needs to bring their own boots since camps normally don’t provide them. There are many boots to choose from, but it’s important that your kid is comfortable in wearing them. Some choices available are paddock boots, half chaps, and tall boots.
- Bug Spray – Nothing can ruin a horse day camp experience like flies and insects. A good bug repellant spray will prevent pesky bugs for the horse and the rider. A special spray is used on horses, but your camp should provide this essential.
- Lunch Bag – A good lunch bag will keep your kids’ food secure and cool during a long morning. Be sure to pack plenty of water and snacks- horseback riding burns a lot of calories!
- Sunscreen – Your camper will be spending most of their time outdoors, and there is a danger of being overexposed. It’s important for them to put on sunscreen regularly. Sunburn can get in the way of a great camping experience.
Lastly, don’t forget to pack a sense of adventure and excitement! Horse camp is a great opportunity to explore the world of horseback riding and make new friends. One of the most important things to remember when packing for camp is to make a list. This will help you remember what you need and make sure you don’t forget anything important.
Why Horse Camp Can Do Wonders For Your Child
Horse camp is a great opportunity for kids to create happy memories that will stay with them for life. Camp provides a chance to horse around with new friends, learn new riding skills, and explore the great outdoors. With experienced counselors on hand to help, your children are sure to have a blast while they build lifelong skills and memories.
If your child or teen loves horses, a summer at horse camp is one of the best opportunities to learn and enjoy the sport with friends who are passionate about horses. Find more resources for parents of horse crazy kids.